darling

Hi, thanks for stopping by for a short or long visit :) Im single, drink double and sleep triple :) Life is an adventure :) Join me

Friday, August 25, 2006

62 - taking a chance

I might not know a lot of things about a lot of things but I know enough about enough. What I dont know, I know where to find what I need.

Today I would like to talk about taking chances. It is something that I still struggle with BUT have gotten better at with life. Taking chances can and may be dangerous at times. At others, taking chances is a personal and private matter, they can also be experimental and playful. They can seem like huge life changing moments or small yet still important.

Sometimes the chances that you take will have clear and strict outcomes, other times grey and fuzzy. The best and my favorite are the chances people take when the outcome is unknown. Taking a chance can be a big risk. One has to be prepared for many different scenarios should it be something that doesnt quite fit your life (at that point).

For those of you who hold on to control tightly. Taking chances may take a long time if ever to follow through. No worries :) Sometimes we dont have to make them other times we must to continue. Such is life, a choice.

Standing in front of various salad dressings, I look over the many different types. Low fat, no fat, no trans fat, creamy, extra creamy and so on. I dont really need any dressing but out of the corner of my eye. (ok not so corner of my eye) I spy a woman holding 2 different bottles and mentions to her partner that shes never tried either and isnt sure if she would like it.

Just pick one. You wont know until you try it. Take a chance on this new salad dressing that you may find is the cake that takes it all.

Take a chance. Its scary. Its new, its so unknown what the outcome will be. It might be all that you hoped for or it could be the exact opposite. Wouldnt you rather know? Wouldnt you want to know sooner than later? Why put off something when you can do it now? When you can find out now.

Take that step, find out what life has in store for you. You cant run away from taking a chance. You either do or dont. Not taking a chance is for me delaying the inevitable. Its your choice. Yours alone. You decide what to do with the best of your knowledge of the situation. Its all YOU.

Personally, after taking chances that I may share later on here. I feel so light and open. I feel light with knowing that I dont have thoughts of many what ifs running through my mind. Dont get me wrong, Ive been scared of some that I have come across and ill admit to not taking the chance to move ahead but Ive learned from those experiences as well and I didnt let anything go to waste. I took full advantage of the situation even if it may or my not have been, right. (I still have what ifs in my mind)

I feel more open to possibilities, I welcome moments where I have to take a chance. I know the joy it brings, of making the decision to take a chance and having things work out. I know the feeling of wonder that comes with taking a chance and realizing that what was holding me back from going forward, was me. My thoughts, my words, my actions.

There is always a presence of fear, of nervousness, of anticipation when taking a chance and making a choice is upon me. Its fighting through that and accepting the responsibility of your decision of being open to new situations.

My thoughts, my words, my acions. Those were holding me back from moving forward, I was holding myself back from moving forward, from seeing things clearer, from understanding, from personal growth, from becoming a better me. Everytime I take a chance and see that it was me that was holding my progress along, it reminds me, it cements the fact that I know who my enemy is.

I am my worst enemy. I hold me back like no one else holds me back. Yet I am my best supporter. No one else can lift me and my spirits like I can. I look in the mirror and see where I want to go who I want to be and at the same time see who I need to stay ahead of and keep close to me as that person has the power to bring me down.

Its a matter of balance now. I make sure that one side is always up on the other. The other side may catch up and find a way to bring me down. With enough determination I will tip the balance again :) Its not a daily battle for me, but for some it is.

Ive touched on a few things here that deserve more thought. I hope to expand on some of them in the future.

So please. Dont be scared of taking chances. What are you waiting for?? I cant promise all good things. I do know that its important to discover yourself. Taking a chance, is just another way of acknowledging that you are ready to move forward and learn more about yourself. When you take the chance you are saying out loud in action that you are ready to live, to continue, to find out more...

4 Comments:

  • At September 01, 2006 10:54 PM, Blogger George said…

    A true motivational speaker post. Very well done Darling, thought provoking, self examination, pushing your borders, embracing life, triumph over fears.
    I'll bet there aren't many people out there willing to jump on this band wagon. If it's outside of my comfort zone I am not interested.
    I believe most people will take a small step outside of their comfort zone but not a leap of faith that thinks will be OK.
    And the excuses, not reasons, they would come up with ... I might hurt myself, it looks dangerous, my back hurts, I might get diarrhea, I don't think my insurance will cover this if I fuck up, and on and on and on.
    Most people don't realize that they can take chances within their comfort zone.
    When I was recovering from my depression I had to almost learn everything again. I would try to cut the lawn and fail. I was useless. But if I set a goal of cutting a patch 10m x 10m ... I succeeded. Small steps, when put together, make a grand distance travelled. And I didn't leave the comfort zone I had before entering the hospital.
    Now, I am perhaps ready to push the envelope a little ... 1 small step after another.

    Great post Darling.

     
  • At September 02, 2006 2:06 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Thanks George,

    Its a smart thing to do. To break things down like you did with the lawn.

    After something tragic happens in someones like people often think they wont be able to handle things, theyre told to go month by month, if that is too much go week by week, still too much? if you cant go through a week without sliding...go day by day and even if that is too much. hour by hour.

    Basics. Small steps. It all starts with the first one...

     
  • At September 03, 2006 1:15 PM, Blogger afrobev said…

    I agree with you. Take that chance on things. What have you got to lose? The problem is with a lot of us as human beings is the fact that we take life much, much too seriously and instead of just doing what we want to do or feel the need to do, we sit back and just think about it instead.

    Perhaps we should be a bit braver and take the World head on. What do you reckon? xx

     
  • At September 03, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger darling said…

    James,

    Youre right, we do tend to think of things more than we act. Thinking is all good we should all think but also remember that following through is a great thing to do. :)

    Watch out World!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home