darling

Hi, thanks for stopping by for a short or long visit :) Im single, drink double and sleep triple :) Life is an adventure :) Join me

Sunday, August 13, 2006

57 - wisdom

My sister went out one night. She had asked me if I wanted to go out with her. I asked her who she was going out to meet and when she told me. I declined and made sure she understood it wasnt because of her. I didnt give her an explanation. She told me she was going out with people from work. She also commented that I rarely went out on nights with them like they had planned for that night. I told her it wasnt my cup of tea.

I dont do certain things with people from work. I dont go and 'hang out at one of their places', I dont 'party at their houses' either. I do go if the location is at a resaurant. If we go out for dinner or drinks at a bar.

The next day I asked her how it went the night before she said ' now I know why you dont go out with them' I laughed and she told me what happened. How it was not fun, comfortable or pleasant having to be the responsible one who looks after 3-4 other people. How she had to deal with people that were rude and arrogant. How she has seen a different side of the people she works with and she would have preferred not to have that experience under her belt.

She asked me why I do certain things with them and not others. I told her, at a bar/restaurant. They cant be as stupid as they would be in their own home. Theres a certain amount of crap that the establishment will take, after so much of it, they get tossed out. That doesnt happen when they are in their own place. When the event is at their own home, they can do whatever they want to and its ok, no matter how anyone might feel.

I dont go to their homes because I dont want to know who goes behind closed doors and I dont want to be in the position to have someone propostion me to go behind said closed doors. I dont want to be present when uncomfortable encounters between those who shared time behind closed doors meet afterwards. I like to keep my private life private. Others have a different mindset.

Its none of my business and I dont care. I want to enjoy good food, good wine, good conversation with these people. I want to be able to excuse myself when I dont want to be in their company anymore and slip away out of the restaurant and be on my merry way. I see these people 5 days a week for 8 hours. I dont think I am bound to spend my time with them after work at all. I do it because its social and pleasant. The times I have gone out I have been lucky.

If I didnt work with these people would I search them out and want to hang out with them or anyone like them?? No. Not particularily. I prefer to spend my time with people who understand its quality of food and drink that matters not the quantity. I prefer people who can carry conversations throughout the night and not those who slobber and slur their words so badly its incomprehensible. I prefer those who are mature and confident to those who are childish and arrogant.

To some I am asking for a lot. I dont see it that way at all. I just know what I will put up with and what I wont. It kind of feels snobbish *blush*

My sister has now decided that I do have some wisdom.

4 Comments:

  • At August 17, 2006 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so right Darling - I decline work events for precisely the same reasons. I don't think it's remotely snobbish - it would be a dreadfully small and boring world if one spent one's 2 days off with the same people one spends the other 5 with.

    My 'private life' and 'new job' blur into one in my blog, but in my other life, I like to keep a very clear line between work and social things. Keep up the divisiveness Darling!

    Livvy xxx

     
  • At August 18, 2006 10:41 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Hello Livvy,

    Private lives and new jobs are always fun. I think its the people you least expect that would venture into those.

    Its important to know where your interests are as far as knowing when to leave and who to spend time with.

    Thanks for stopping by :)

     
  • At August 20, 2006 5:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I agree with your blog. Totally. I would even go so far as to say one just can't be friends with people they work with. FriendLY, yes, but friends, no. It's too difficult. I'm 31 and work with a lot of 17 to 21 year olds. THAT'S hard. They want to be chummy, but in the end, I'm their boss. Oh well.

     
  • At August 21, 2006 10:12 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Theres a time and place for everything I guess :)

    Thanks for stopping by Sean.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home