darling

Hi, thanks for stopping by for a short or long visit :) Im single, drink double and sleep triple :) Life is an adventure :) Join me

Thursday, August 31, 2006

67 - workout update

Since the start of August Ive gone to the gym about 5-6 times a week. Ive gone twice a day sometimes and after I figure out the days that I did not go It worked to about 5-6x a week.

I dont mind going as much as I thought I would. I thought I was busier than I was and used the 'I dont have any time' excuse. I do have time. Have nothing but time lately it seems. With all this time I now take advantage of it for when I dont have plans for the early evening, I work out. When I wake up early enough and determine whether I have gotten enough sleep, I work out. If I need sleep, I dont go early in the morning. If my body tells me that its not a good idea to work out, I dont.

I just know that it has become a part of my day. It solves a few things for me and I am thankful. I am now in the process of kicking myself in the posterior for not joining a gym sooner. For not being more decisive about it, for letting an excuse hold me back.

The following is what I have been doing in the gym. I do 5-10 minutes of stretches and warm up with a medicine ball on the floor mat. After I have sufficiently stretched and warmed my body in preperation for whats to come I get on the treadmill where I program the speed at 3.3-3.6 mph on an incline of 7-10. When I started I just did speeds of 3.0-3.5 and an incline of 4-6. Always for one hour.

Since I started I have slowly built myself up to be able to bring the speed up for a jog at 4.8-5.5 mph. Im still working on my endurance so I let my body dictate the length of time that I jog for. Somedays I can go for about 20-30 minutes, other days I jog for 10 min.

As far as making goals for myself, I have yet to cement them. I know I should make them now so I have something to focus on achieving. So far I guess you can say my goal is to be disciplined in making it a daily/regular habit for me to work out at the gym. I know that its easy to let things slide, so my plan is to work on the want and need for me to keep going and continue to compound the good before other things try to tempt me away to a life of complacency.

So after one hour of treadmill time I jump on the elliptical machine to swing my arms and move my legs to the beat of the music from my MP3 player OR listening to a book on audio. I vary the level between 6-7 and my speed varies depending on my effort, about 3.8-6.5mph. Im on this machine for an hour.

My health is the most important reason I am at the gym. I want to be able to do things...for a long time. I want to live for a long time. I wont be able to enjoy everything this world has to offer if I dont stick around as long as I can. Im 26, I know I have many years ahead of me even without working out. BUT I choose to because the benefits are many and not singular.

Pictures of bad cholesterol clogging pathways are on my mind with calories and dreaded fat. When I work out I imagine my body being cleansed of bad, negative, problematic situations. I literally think of clear paths, healthy muscle, effective white cells. I think of strong bones, nerves and tendons. I really do think of that. I picture a type of cartoon in my mind where there is a battle between good and evil, between health and unlealthy and that good and healthy have taken names and will kick ass. Its amusing to work out in my mind...literally in my mind. lol

I should also add that once my mind has integrated these thoughts to the rest of my body to perform. I end up thinking of a lean and toned me. I think of the changes my body will be going through with my quest for being in shape and living a healthy lifestyle.

After the hour on the elliptical machine and usually about a total loss of 1000-1200 calories at that point I move to the stationary bike. Here I tend not to spend an hour. I usually bike for 30-45 min on level 6 with a constant speed of 80-90 mph. After the bike ride I streatch and cool down.

Ive also started to work on some resistance machines to let my body know that it wont always be the same workout all the time. I alternate which areas of my body to concentrate on.

To end I stretch again and let my body enjoy the pains of hard work. I shower there at the gym and take advantage of the sauna they have there and then get dressed and leave the building.

That is my workout.

I have to mention that I have been lucky. During the many years I was not a gymbunny I could have gained a lot of weight that was unsightly. I didnt. I consider myself lucky that I have good genes and with continuous hard work, one day be where I have set my goals.

There is also something to be said for muscle memory. Yay for my muscles who remembered what it was like to be worked :)

Im scared that I will fail to be disciplined. Im scared that I will peak and not be able to reach my goals. Im scared that my goals are unrealistic. Im scared that my body will rot from the inside out from being unhealthy. Im just scared sometimes.

5 Comments:

  • At September 09, 2006 12:28 PM, Blogger George said…

    Darling ... let me say that I feel humbled by your workout routine. I also go 6 days a week but in terms of effort you outshine me by far.

    Don't be scared of failure ... work to the best of your ability, you can't do any better than your best. Your body will not rot, it will be preserved a long time when you compare it to the majority of people in this hemisphere.

    I like the term gymbunny ... atheletic and sexy. Perhaps the gymbunny needs a gymbuddy?

     
  • At September 09, 2006 11:41 PM, Blogger darling said…

    I wasnt serving humble pie. Your work outs are great as well :)

    Thanks for the words of encouragment.

    Who wouldnt want to be athletic and sexy??

    Planning on changing memberships or did you have someone in mind for me?

     
  • At September 10, 2006 12:40 PM, Blogger George said…

    Darling ... yes, I think I do have somebody in mind for you ... somebody who could push you to the limit ... letting the pain bring pleasure.

     
  • At September 10, 2006 5:46 PM, Blogger darling said…

    George,

    This person you had in mind sounds like hes leaning towards something kind of kinky.

     
  • At September 11, 2006 12:23 PM, Blogger George said…

    Darling ... that depends on what you consider kinky. You must remember the expression ... no pain, no pleasure, no gain. It applies to exercise as well as "other" pastimes ... like board games. Sometimes you have to give up a position (pain) to get into another position (pleasure).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home