darling

Hi, thanks for stopping by for a short or long visit :) Im single, drink double and sleep triple :) Life is an adventure :) Join me

Thursday, February 22, 2007

149 - blend

Theres this gentleman at work... no... a different one that I havent mentioned previously in other posts.

This gentleman stopped me in one of the offices upstaires and asked me for my number. I knew that he was asking for my personal contact number whether it be at home or my cell phone. Thank goodness I looked somewhat lost as I was being pulled in different directions by other people. I shook my head and proceeded to let him know what my extension number was at work where he could reach me. Crisis averted.

Or so I thought.

SAME DAY. Im busy working away and I get a call I answer

Me 'Darling speaking how may I help you?' In a sweet professional voice

Him 'Hey I got you! How are you?' (who else was he expecting?)

Me 'Im good thanks, whats the news?'

Him 'Nothing much, just wanted to say Hi, I havent seen you in awhile'

Me 'You know me, busy busy.' (he monitors when we see each other?!)

Him 'yeah, I dont see you as much anymore.' (theres a reason)

Me 'They keep me busy here'

after some more idle banter of the not even remotely interesting enough to blog about topics...

Him 'Well Ill let you get back to it then'

Me 'Ok great, bye'

A few days after I am stopped again upstairs, this time he asks me to sit at his desk for a moment and we have a light conversation about the upcoming exam he is taking. Not medical, this was a work related exam. Some kind of license.

Im about to stand up and he stops me and places hishand on top of mine which I put on the desk to push myself up. I look at him and he lets go. Personal invasion of space is another post I will write about. He says, 'remember that time I asked for your number?... I wasnt asking about your extension number, I wanted to know what your cell/home phone number was so I can call you there.

(Oh my goodness, this is actually happening) I cant just say' no I dont want to give you my number. So silly me, I say 'Oh, and I thought you wanted me number at worrrrrrrrk!'

As Ive posted about in the past. I dont socialize with people from work after hours like others do. I join in on work related events during work hours and do the occasional get together at a restaurant to say happy retirement or best wishes at your new post. I dont do frat style parties, I dont go out and get drunk with them. Its one thing to go outand be silly with your friends. Its another to do it with people at work who wont ever look at you the same afterwards.

This one... I can sense he wants dinner, movies and the whole kit and caboodle. I didnt sign up for that and inside Im panicking as I dont do well saying no to people about things like this. Damnit! Not saved by the bell??? Where is that bell when I need it. Not happening. Oh so, you want my phone number. (a statment) He slides his business card to me blank side up and hands me a pen. Im being coerced!!! help... help.

Does no one hear my minds plea? Nope

And there I go, scribbling away my number. (sigh)

Me 'Well, Ive got to go. See you later.'
Him 'Ok, have a good day'

I walk away and he calls out 'Darling... ' Not really 'darling' that would have been too much!
I turn and see him wave the card up in the air with a big smile on his face 'thanks for this'
I nod my head and turn back and call myself all sorts of sucker.

Im thankful that we arent both located on the same floor. This would just not be comfortable. Luck is not with me as I get a memo telling me that my office is being moved to guess where? You guessed it to the same floor. (grumbles) So now hes all happy about it as he has heard through the grapevine that I am moving closer to him. There is nothing I can do, no one I can plead with or bride to have someone else take my place. Nothing.

Ill smooth down my skirt and shake this loss off and win the war. Its not over!!

Does anyone have any tips of how to blend in with the woodwork?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At February 22, 2007 12:10 PM, Blogger TuxBaby said…

    Dang it, Darling.... should have just politely refused to give him your personal number and told him "I don't date people in my workplace". Which is TRUE- because you sound like me. I don't make it a habit to befriend every coworker because I have my OWN friends and I like to keep the 2 separate. And like you, I will attend retirement parties and conferences and things with coworkers, but I don't "hang out" with them socially.

    But ewwww that you will now have to shoo him away on your personal time as well.

    ~TuxBaby

     
  • At February 22, 2007 7:52 PM, Blogger George said…

    Rule #1 --- don't mess about with co-workers, whether it be a date, an after hours drink or wham-bam thank you darling ... see you at work tomorrow. You know that ... grow some balls ... or don't ... just make yourself say no.

     
  • At February 23, 2007 10:42 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Hi Tuxbaby,

    I didnt want to assume thats what he was going to do so I gave it to him out of duress(sic)

    Yes worlds colliding is something I dont enjoy.

    Its the darling life I lead :)... as long as he doesnt follow me home!!

    Hello George,

    I agree with that rule.

    Being nice gets me in as much trouble as not Ive gathered.

     
  • At February 24, 2007 11:46 AM, Blogger Paul Corsetti (416)455-5515 said…

    I have a basic rule... which is the same as George's rule.

    "Don't dip your pen in company ink..."

    (Pen can sometimes be replaced with something that rhymes with 'ink')

    I would just flat out tell him...you were kind of flustered at the moment when he asked you for the number... but past experiences have made you set a rule in place... no dating co-workers. It is a hard and fast lesson to learn.

    There may also be a reality check here...does he read your blogs? lmao! He might be falling in love with you based on your written thoughts and you'd have no idea now...

    Just plain and simple...repeat to him after me..."Listen, I messed up the other day, I Don't date co-workers..."

    If he's not reading your blog.... you can always meet for coffee and then throw in a small lie and tell him your thinking about patching things up with an ex-love that you can't stop thinking about and you wanted his advice on the idea...and pass yourself off as a chic with a lot of emotional baggage by constantly referring to this ex-love and the things you used to do together!!!.

    That would send me running for the hills! lmao

    Paul

     
  • At February 26, 2007 8:34 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Hello Paul,

    Hmm I wonder what that could be replaced with...

    I could do that, I might have to at some point. Lets hope that it wont be needed and his attentions will be directed elsewhere.

    Ive often wondered if anyone that I may work with or even know reads this blog.

    I think Im just hoping that he isnt interested in dating me... or anything else for that matter. If that is what hes looking for, the answer would be a polite decline, which I will come up with at the time or use what youve given me.

    Wouldnt want some people to run for the hills... Ill make sure to keep that gold nugget for emergencies :P

     
  • At February 27, 2007 12:11 AM, Blogger TuxBaby said…

    Another way to put that same good rule: "Don't get your honey where you make your money".

    So I suppose he hasn't called you? (I hope not)

    ~TuxBaby

     
  • At March 01, 2007 9:03 AM, Blogger darling said…

    Hey Tuxbaby,

    I like that line! lol

    Yeah, hes called me. Update coming :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home